Secretary of Defense James Mattis on Wednesday took a more tempered approach to North Korea than President Trump, who earlier in the day said “talking is not the answer” for dealing with the rogue nation.
“We are never out of diplomatic solutions,” Mattis told reporters.
Mattis was set to meet with South Korean Defense Minister Song Young-Moo at the Pentagon.
“We continue to work together, and the minister and I share a responsibility to provide for the protection of our nations, our populations, and our interests,” he added.
The President on Wednesday took to Twitter to downplay the idea of negotiating with the Pyongyang.
The U.S. has been talking to North Korea, and paying them extortion money, for 25 years. Talking is not the answer!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 30, 2017